Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Et in New Arcadia Ego

As has so far – six months of my life gone on this game, jesus, do I get a medal or a stay in a rehab facility? – been the case, whenever I start to get bored with Minecraft, something comes up that holds my attention. This time, it’s my decision to build a town. Yes. An entire town for one, my very own town, a small urban (well, more sort of urbanesque) wonderland. And just as soon as I’m done building a road from Cantilevers to Spawn, I’m on it. There’s a whole new continent not far by boat from Cantilevers and it strikes me as the perfect spot for a little development.

Just as I’m contemplating the excitement of town building, along comes an update. Whee! Another update! This one has changed the launcher out a bit and it tells me, ominously, that my worlds must be converted. Missionary saints, I think, who were the missionary saints? St. Patrick or maybe St. Brendan the navigator in his coracle would be a better match for Minecraft. No matter, I’m going to leave my old worlds alone for a bit, although this change also lets me rename my worlds. I’ve been wanting to rename things but damned if I can come up with anything appropriate. I consider asking Metafilter but that’s really too geeky even for me. The only world I can name is my current one: New Arcadia. Yes, it’s New Arcadia the world and New Arcadia the town.

The first thing I build in New Arcadia is a cave, naturally. I mean, the small cave was already there and so I make it my temporary headquarters while I start town planning and construction. As I hollow the cave out more and more it begins to look a lot like a bank lobby. Strange, how big granite caves look like banks. Still, I can’t really bear to make a bank my first building, so at night I transform this bank lobby into – a theatre! Or a sort of nightclub theatre! Yeah! Then I build a castle. Well, sort of a half castle, with one tower instead of four. When finished, this building is too daunting for me to even consider living in it. I’m not sure what it’s for – a church? A town hall? An armory? A jail? Anyway, it’s done if not decorated and I move on to something closer to my heart: a tavern. A sort of medieval inn/tavern with bedrooms upstairs and a bar downstairs and a kitchen in the back. I like my tavern and I move in promptly.

There are new beds in Minecraft. I don’t like them. They’re too small and red. I make beds all the time using 6 blocks of wool and they’re much more, well, bedlike looking. They’re queen sized, at any rate, and since I am the defacto queen of New Arcadia, I demand a queen’s bed. My inn has old style beds except for one room, where the weary traveler, which is to say, me, can take a night off from crafting and cooking in a new, red bed. I’m too busy building my town to consider a night off, but it’s good to know it’s there. I’ve started a new building which I think might be either an art museum or possibly a gracious private residence – maybe both, what the hell – and New Arcadia is coming right along. Soon, I will begin on the souk. Whee! Minecraft is suddenly fun again.

1 comment:

  1. The beds don't look like much, but it's cool that you can now sleep and fast-forward through the night! Also, word is that next month, you can use the beds to change your spawn point. Now THAT will change how I play the game.

    Oh, a word to the wise- don't leave your bedroom all shadowy. PUT A TORCH IN THERE or a skeleton may spawn while you're sleeping and rudely wake you up with an arrow to the face. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete