Monday, January 31, 2011

Look On My Work Ye Mighty

I respawned, making a mental note to restock the spawning hut sometime. . . soon (restocking spawning huts is one of those tasks, like folding laundry or putting dishes away, that are just somehow not all that rewarding). . . and hauled ass yet again all the way to Wayhouse #2. This time, though, I did it on Peaceful mode and if that means I’m a wimp, then I’m embracing my own wimpitude with love. I managed to pick up almost all my dropped stuff and then it was dark and I turned everything back to normal and sat around organizing my inventory until the sun came up. I wish I had a Set Back To Normal dial in the real world, I must say, and having an opportunity for Peaceful mode would be even better.

The next day I headed on back to FourFalls, which is still beautiful and, well, done. Sure, I could put in a farm or heat the pool but basically, FourFalls is static and complete and I need adventure. Therefore, I decide on the hopeless quest of finding Mountain House (which isn’t even in the mountains and why I’m calling it that I do not know) by retracing my steps, leaving orange wool behind to mark them. There are only two problems with this strategy: 1) it’s never worked before because I cannot retrace my steps from last week and 2) I don’t have all that much orange wool and I’m stingy with it. That’s why I end up in the desert, hopelessly lost.

However, while I’m in the desert, I remember a project I’ve had in mind for a while. So look on my works, ye mighty, and despair – Shelley is rolling in his grave.

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away".

No comments:

Post a Comment