Sunday, January 30, 2011

Creepers, Creepers Everywhere

I got home and immediately got bored, so I went off looking for a new cave. I found an excellent one and, wonder of wonders, got some lapis out of it. Only one problem: when I got out of the cave I was lost. I wandered around for a couple of days, heading vaguely north, thinking I would eventually hit my road to spawn at least but nothing. Nope, I was thoroughly lost in the wilderness and even the zone of weird trees I stumbled into was not the same zone of weird trees that I knew. Fuck it, I thought, and built a house by a waterfall, surrounded by weird trees. Mountain and snow houses have to be made of wood – I don’t know why, they just do – so that took me a while but eventually this house, too, was completed and sporting an elegantly blue couch of wool blocks. Then, of course, I was kind of bored and, because there must be roads, I set off to build one.

Back to spawn! I was sure that the wood house was close to FourFalls. After all, I had only left for a day or so, gone caving and emerged, so the two houses can’t be far from each other; it’s just not possible. I’m convinced of this and so my initial road building excursions were more exploratory than practical. I found an abandoned boat, hmmm, and yet. . . no FourFalls. Nothing even vaguely familiar, not even the boat. Finally I gave in and started building a road or, rather, a series of cobble blocks and tunnels and the occasional bridge, in earnest. It took forever and, surprise, ended up merging with the road from the old, old house. That’s peculiar and I don’t begin to understand it. I have to get a map program going; there’s really no other way.

I thought about trying to backtrack my way to Fourfalls from Old House but instead went almost all the way to Spawn. There, I picked up the FourFalls road and headed out, planning to spend a little time hunting creepers in the monster infested wayhouse. Halfway between the first wayhouse (which is scary ugly, but I can’t be bothered to make it prettier) I came upon the zone of weird trees. Or, well, A zone of weird trees. My wood house is near here, I thought. I swear it is. And thus I set off to look for it, marking my way with blocks of colored wool, an innovation of which I am rather proud.

Well. I made a circle and found no house, although I did stop to take a picture of some squids sporting in a half frozen pool with a friendly and slightly bewildered sheep. Back along the colored wool trail, back through the gap and oh damn, it’s nighttime again. How many zones of weird trees are there? There can’t be that many. I think. I hope. But I accept that this particular zone of weird trees may not be MY zone of weird trees.

Following the obelisks, I came to Wayhouse #2. I enlarged it just a little only to find the next morning that my god, I hadn’t been overestimating the number of creepers around here. I killed 7 in a minute and a half, using up almost all my arrows but fortunately, since I don’t have much food, not taking any damage. This is ridiculous but somehow it’s sort of invigorating. I think I’ll stay another day or so and kill more. Oh, and build a waterfall.

Famous last words. Literally. I rushed out the door in the morning shooting at creepers and BAM, that was that. Then I respawned, hauled ass all the way back, proving the worth of the roads and BAM, died again as I was trying to pick up my stuff. Double Death! Oh HELL.

No comments:

Post a Comment