Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Another World, Another Spider Proofing Job

I decide that I have to spider proof my main World 3 house. I like this house, which reminds me of Falling Waters and is very modern and groovy, what with lots of glass and cobblestone, which is what passes for concrete in Minecraft. At least, I thought it was modern until I got there fresh from my various building endeavours in World 2. Then it looks as clunky as an earnest 1960s post Bauhaus kinda endeavour in a field full of 2009 container cottages. This picture is the old version. Heavens! This house will not do! It must be modernized, spiderproofed, furnished, enlarged and generally redone. This takes a while but finally I am pleased with the results. Lo! My modern house is post modern. Also, it has flaming nether rock blocks on the corners of the glass roof and I get to hang out up there and listen to spiders die all night. Rock on, flaming blocks, rock on.

Okay, so my house is modernized, I’ve fallen into and explored a cave, I still don’t have any lapis, what now? I guess I’ll have to journey out to try to find lapis and cacti, because I want cacti as well as flames on my roof. One of the issues with Minecraft is that every time there’s a big update, you get cool new things – on the parts of your world that haven’t been explored yet. This is awesome, in that you can go exploring and find new stuff, and frustrating in that you have to go further and further afield to get this new stuff. Still, it’s an excuse to explore, so I hop in my boat and head south. Yeah, south. South is everywhere.

I find some cool stuff and barely survive falling into a pit of creepers and then as I continue my southward journey I discover a perfect place to create a project I’ve had in mind for a while now: The Potemkin Apartments. Well, actually, this isn’t my first iteration of Potemkin Apartments. See, there are a lot of flat rectangular cliffs in Minecraft and they’re perfect for apartment buildings. I go through and put in windows with torches behind them and lo, suddenly an empty desert has a huge, thriving population of burrowing apartment dwellers. It makes me feel less lonely. Also, as demonstrated by some vaguely remembered NYC mayor some years back, it stops crime. The only problem with Potemkin Apartments is that they take more work than I’m usually willing to put into them and this particular cliff proves to be no exception. I put in a couple lines of windows and then look out of one.

Clay! I like clay. Clay makes bricks; bricks make snazzy houses; I try to gather all the clay I can whenever I get the chance. This is a lot of clay and after I’ve gathered it I decide that even though I still have no lapis, it’s probably time to head home. However, clay takes up too much space. That’s why I’m huddled in a hole in a mountainside with four furnaces going right now, cookin’ me up some clay. There’s a big cave around the corner and I think tomorrow I will renew my quest for lapis so I can have blue sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment