Monday, March 14, 2011

All Cities Need Housing









New Arcadia continues to grow. I have built an apartment house now: the Potemkin Arms, luxury dwellings. Well, some are luxury. I got worried partway through about the lack of affordable housing in New Arcadia and made sure that some of the apartments are cheaper than the others. Not that they’re not all very nice! I actually contemplated moving into the penthouse myself but I’m happy at the Inn, where there is cake on the table.

I am a little concerned about the fact that I not only worry about affordable housing in my completely imaginary village but also about the plight of the shop workers in the commercial district. It’s hard when your village is just so attractive and yet, yet, where is its industry? There is money to be made from interstellar visitors from the flying saucer up on the hill but that’s mostly just tourism. Well, tourism and cattle. No, New Arcadia needs a trade and to that end, it now has a port. Next to the port it has, of course, 19th century slums. You can take me out of Baltimore but not, apparently, all that far.

Life in New Arcadia is good, though. You can sit at the sidewalk café and watch the chickens go by.


No comments:

Post a Comment